It is very important to take good care of your eyes not only are they one of your most striking facial features, they can also be used to diagnose more serious underlying health problems. Whats more, they are what you use to see your way through life. You definitely want to have good vision for a long time. There are some simple tips that you can use to do this:
- Have a comprehensive eye test most people will only see an eye doctor when they have an obvious problem. This is not healthy in many cases they dont know that they can improve their vision with a simple optical test that can reveal whether or not they need glasses or contact lenses. A comprehensive eye test involves the doctor using eye drops to dilate the lenses this allows in light so that the doctor can see better into the eyeball. He will be able to see whether it has elongated or shortened and affected your vision and he will also to see any broken blood vessels that may be a sign of a more serious health problem.
- It is important to be aware of your familys eye history. Are there any eye diseases that seem to pass from generation to generation? If there are and the doctor detects them early they can be corrected or at the very least slowed down in good time. Macular degeneration, for example, is a condition that seems to pass down in some families. The ophthalmologist can come up with a course or treatment to make sure that you have your vision for as long as possible.
- Remember when your mother told you that carrots are good for your eyes? She was right; if you want to have healthy eye sight you should load your diet with loads of vitamins not necessarily just carrots. There are some fruits that are particularly good guavas, papaya, peaches, apricots and others will help you have healthy eyes.
- Your weight matters when it comes to your eyes. If you are overweight or obese there is a good chance that you may develop diabetes. This can lead to diabetic eye disease, glaucoma and other complications of the eyes. Check your weight and if you are becoming heavier you should do something about it.
- Protective eye gear is essential if your work exposes your eyes to any flying objects or strong light. These include goggles, safety glasses, safety shields and others. They are made of strong lenses to keep your eyes protected. You should also be particularly careful if you work with chemicals and other harmful substances. If any foreign objects get into your eyes see an optometrist immediately.
- If you are like most people you spend more than just a few hours on a computer every day. This can lead to eye strain and worse you could suffer serious headaches as a result. It is important to take precautions to make sure that you dont develop permanent problems. The best thing to do is to use the 20-20-20 rule: look at your screen for 20 minutes, rest your eyes for 20 seconds by staring at an object that is 20 feet away. While you rest you should blink several times to moisten your eyes. Dry eyes can eventually lead to loss of vision but even if that doesnt occur you will be in considerable pain over time.
Finally, you should be conscious about touching your eyes most of us are not and end up rubbing eyes with dirty hands. You can end up with a serious eye infection.
The author does not allow comments to this entry